Thursday, January 5, 2012

Happy 2012 y'all!

Wow I can't believe I haven't posted since September. I haven't been very crafty or doing much cooking as I developed vertigo during my trip to Las Vegas in September and October so I tend to stay away from stoves and sharp objects.

I thought I'd share a photo of our tree and a recipe for a great appetizer.

Bacon wrapped dates:

Get some dates. They come in a box in the dried fruit section. Make sure they are whole and pitted (cause seriously, you do NOT want to try to pit them. It's worth the extra $$$).

Buy some ricotta cheese. I prefer low fat, but to each his own.

Use a pastry bag or a plastic bag and cut off the tip. Put about 1/2-1 cup of cheese into the bag and squeeze it into the hole on top of the date til it's all filled up. Repeat til all of the dates are filled. Then whatever ricotta is leftover, use for some mini lasagnas later.

Get some bacon. Cut the strips in half or thirds, depending on the length. Wrap the bacon strips around the dates, and hold in place with a toothpick.

Put all these bad boys onto a pan and throw into the oven (I use the convection oven as the big oven usually is loaded down with the main course) at 425 degrees F for about 15-18 minutes.

Serve and enjoy! Trust me, they are good, plus they are all the rage right now at swanky lounges (not that I hang out in any kind of lounge...)

And here is our first real Christmas tree! Ain't it purdy? You can't see up close, but we bought those stockings plain then used sparly green twine to tie on bells and decorated with a gingerbread man and woman and ginger cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment