Thursday, April 23, 2015

Heather's Homemade Sweet Tea

My version is not particularly sweet. And there's no lemon so it's not very southern. But you can add or subtract from this how you please! It's just how we make it at my house. This will be revised when I figure out how big my pitcher is cause I'm doing this from the road. 

Boil a cup and a half of water. 
Take it off the stove, add 4 family size iced tea bags made for hot water and let steep for 20 minutes (or more if you forget about it like me)

While the bags are steeping, pour 1/2 cup of water into a pan and set it to low to medium low on the stove. Pour in 1/2 cup of sugar and stir. Come back and stir every few minutes until the sugar is completely dissolved. Then take it off of the stove. 

Once your bags have finished steeping, with washed hands, squeeze gently to get the excess water out of the bags and throw them away (or into your compost, or whatever you do with them, I don't judge). 

Get out a pitcher. Pour the concentrated tea water into the pitcher. Pour the sugar water (simple syrup, but sugar water makes me think of Men In Black so roll with it) into the pitcher. Then fill with filtered water til you get the color tea that's desirable to your taste. Stir with a big wooden spoon (you don't have to use a wooden spoon, it's just what I use) and keep in the fridge because believe it or not, tea goes bad. And it's nasty. 

I'll update this when I can! Happy drinking! 

No comments:

Post a Comment